Thursday, March 14, 2013

Triple Chocolate Guinness Brownies & a Shamrock Shake


Since I wont be going out drinking this year at a local Irish pub wearing green beads, I thought that I could still have a little St. Patrick's Day fun with desserts! With all the blogs that I follow on Facebook, I happened to come across these two desserts that I thought would be perfect to celebrate St. Patty's Day. Warm triple chocolate Guinness brownies paired with a homemade Shamrock shake sounds perfect to me! By no means are these two recipes low fat, but every now and then it is ok to indulge, especially if it's homemade goodness.

   I found the recipe for Guinness brownies here. I don't even like Guinness, but having it mixed in with three different kinds of chocolate, I knew it would be good. And of course it was! I don't think things get any better than a freshly baked brownie. They also make your kitchen smell delicious! The only things that I changed with this recipe was that I used all-purpose flour and a 10 oz bag of dark chocolate and about 3/4 cup of the milk chocolate. I also melted the butter and chocolate in the microwave. I would stir the mixture every 30 seconds two times and then put it back in the the microwave for about 10 more seconds. Make sure you watch it so it doesn't burn and make sure you slowly add your chocolate mixture into the egg mixture or you could end up with scrambled eggs!

   I have never had a Shamrock shake from McDonald's, but I am sure they are great. Here is the recipe for a version that you can make at home with only a few ingredients. Very easy! If you want it a little thicker add more ice cream. I used Breyer's "half the fat" vanilla ice cream and 1% milk. I topped it with whipped cream and some green sprinkles. To make whipped cream you use an electric mixer to beat 1 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. It will take a few minutes.

Enjoy & Happy St. Patrick's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment