Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Orzo Vegetable Soup

I originally started this blog post by saying that I'm ready to lose this extra baby weight and eat super healthy all of the time, but I decided to take that part out just in case in a couple of weeks I post a cookie recipe!

Something that I really struggle with is making sure that I eat more vegetables. When going out to eat, it is easy, I just order a salad or a side of green beans, but at home I don't always feel motivated to go the extra step. So, with keeping that in mind, I am going to try harder to incorporate more veggies into my meals. One of the best ways to do that is to add it to what I am making, like putting spinach in my lasagna. I don't think I will go as far as adding black beans to brownies, but I did make this soup loaded with veggies. Here is the recipe for some good, warm vegetable soup....

What you  need:

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1 zucchini chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 can of chickpeas or any kind of beans
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup orzo
sea salt
ground pepper

How to make it:

Using a large saucepan over medium heat, pour in the olive oil and then stir in the onion and garlic. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.

Stir in the carrots and zucchini. Cover and let cook for another 5 minutes or so.

Pour in the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer.

Stir in the dried oregano and orzo, season with salt and pepper, and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the orzo looks fully cooked.

That's it! Super simple. No excuse not make this healthy soup. I have been eating it for lunch and it is deliciously satisfying. This is a perfect meal to make on a Sunday afternoon and put in individual containers to have for lunch during the work week. Enjoy!


2 comments: