Monday, February 18, 2013

My Valentine's Day Dinner at Home

This year I kept it really simple. I wanted to make something that required very minimum effort and that had only a few ingredients. This is what we ate and how you can make it at home....

Salmon -
Two 6 oz. pieces
1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Whole Grain Mustard
Salt & Pepper
Sunny Paris seasoning (optional)

Place the salmon on a baking dish with foil.
Season with salt & pepper.
Top with the mustard.
I also added "Sunny Paris" seasoning from Penzey Spice - I love this stuff! I highly recommend it. 
Roast for 6 minutes.
Broil for 5-6 minutes until the top forms a nice crust.

I love this salmon recipe, so simple, but so delicious!

Hasselback Potatoes - 

Unfortunately these potatoes were good, but not as good as I hoped. Not really worth the effort, but I am glad I tried making it. They looked fancy!

Dark Chocolate Mousse - yes please :)
3/4 cup unsweetened bittersweet chocolate chunks
1/4 cup water
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

Melt the  chocolate with 1/4 cup water in heavy small saucepan over low heat, whisking until smooth. Cool for  about 10 minutes.

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in medium bowl to form soft peaks.
Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar. 
Pour cooled melted chocolate over egg whites and gently fold together. 
Divide mousse among 2-4 (depending on how much you want to divide it up) ramekins or small dishes.  
Chill at least 6 hours or overnight.

I added whipped cream to the top! With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extra until it looks like whipped cream. It will take a few minutes.

Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm excited to try your salmon recipe. I love salmon and even my kids will eat it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what great eaters! It looks like I forgot to say that you mix the olive oil and mustard together before putting it on the salmon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Set oven to 400 degrees too :)

    ReplyDelete