Sunday, February 10, 2013

ONE pot meal of chicken & veggies - Perfect for a cold winter night!



My newest criteria for finding recipes nowadays includes one pot meals and incorporating vegetables so I don't have to make them on the side. I also want to start using my cookbooks more. I nicely organized them in my kitchen by color and realized that I really don't use them that much anymore. I am always looking on the internet, but I want to put an end to that since I have all of these great cookbooks already. They have recipes that I enjoy otherwise I never would have bought them, right?!

Anyways, I found the perfect recipe that is a one pot meal and filled with three different veggies...yeah! It was also in one of my "healthy" cookbooks called The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger. Love her and her recipes! They might be healthy, but not unbearable and boring. I felt so good prepping this recipe since I had a pile of vegetables on my cutting board ready to be eaten!

The recipe is called Tuscan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables. Yum!

Ingredients:

6 Roma tomatoes - cut in quarters and seeded
3 medium zucchinis - cut in half and then into slices lengthwise
1 bulb of fennel cut into slices (watch video below if needed on how to cut fennel)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
3/4 teaspoon of salt
4 bone in chicken breasts with the skin removed (I removed the skin myself with scissors)
4 cloves of garlic minced (about 4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (half a lemon - I put the other half in my ice water)
Pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary.


Preheat the oven to 375.
Put the tomatoes, zucchini, and fennel in a large baking dish. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Place the chicken in the baking dish with the vegetables.

In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Rub the mixture on top of the chicken and season with pepper.

Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. 
Give the vegetables a stir and all the rosemary after the 30 min.
Put back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.

That's it! A perfect meal for a cold winter night. Enjoy!

Here is the video I watched on how to cook fennel....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0OCAnBYq8.

Vegetables before they were cooked - beautiful!

Tuscan Roasted Chicken & Vegetables


No comments:

Post a Comment