Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Apple Cranberry Hand Pies

   Last week I was watching "The Chew," one of my new favorite day time talk shows that discusses recipes and cooking. Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter) is one of the hosts and she was talking about her Apple Cranberry Hand Pies, http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Thanksgiving-Apple-Cranberry-Hand-Pies-Daphne-Oz. I thought that these sounded so good and I remembered that I had a few apples (that I have been meaning to eat) still left in my kitchen. As she was going through the ingredients list, I realized that I had all of them and soon after the show I started getting to work!
   I like how the dough recipe was made up of whole wheat flour. You can always use pre-made dough, but this one was so simple that I suggest making it homemade. Just give yourself some time since it needs to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. You can make the dough ahead of time (yes!) and keep it in the refrigerator for up to two days. I didn't have the ingredients for the yogurt dipping sauce, so I skipped making that part and they were really good without it. Let me know if you decide to make the dip and how it turned out!
   I ate one of the hand pies pretty much right out of the oven and then another one later at room temperature. I preferred it at room temperature. I think you were able to taste the apples and cranberries more when they weren't so hot. These didn't last long in my house.....I think I let my husband have some :) 
   The perfect breakfast snack or after dinner treat. Enjoy!

Apple Cranberry Hand Pies


No comments:

Post a Comment